What is danish butter cookies – Christmas comes with different traditions around the globe. One of the famous Christmas traditions in Denmark is making Christmas cookies. Children in Denmark have been introduced to make the cookies that will be enjoyed by the whole family. Many of Danish Butter Cookies that are enjoyed are brunch, klejner (cruller), vanillekranse, honningkager, and pebernødder. Among those cookies, one of the known Danish Butter Cookies is klejner (cruller).
As a very traditional Christmas dish, klejner (cruller) is the oldest Danish Butter Cookies that have been known since the middle Ages. Based on existing history, klejner also enjoyed on Christmas celebrations in Norway, Sweden, and North Germany.
Klejner (cruller) is a small piece of square-shaped dough with a twisted knot in the center that allows it to be pulled up. It is actually quite fun to make, especially with kid. Crullers are described as similar to “small braided torpedoes.” Some of the other cruller variants are made from denser dough like doughnut formed in the form of small or sticky bread. Cruller usually sprinkled with usual powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon. The rectangle-shaped cruller with two hand-twisted sides is called “klejner” in Denmark. The following recipe is how to make the Danish Klejner.
• 4 cups of flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 2 cups of sugar
• 2 1/4 cups of softened butter (or margarine)
• 4 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups of milk
• 1 lemon (skin of lemon peel)
• 1 teaspoon cardamon Vegetable or vegetable oil
• Deep fryer or sauce pan
• Knife or pizza cutter
How to make:
1. Whip egg and sugar into a light mixture. Add other dry ingredients baking powder and butter that has been softened with light speed, mixed until fluffy. With low speeds add milk, cardamom eggs, and grated lemon to give Klejner a slight lemon flavor.
2. After the dough has become sticky, add the flour bit by bit and then stir again. Mix until the dough is not too sticky. It aims to keep the dough from cracking as you roll it.
3. Divide the dough into 4 sections into the bowl. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and leave it in a cool place like a refrigerator in at least 2 hours.
4. Roll one of the doughs into a rectangle about ¼ thick.
5. Using a pizza knife or cutter, cut the dough into strips with length about 1 ½ “wide, then cut the corner to create a diamond-like shape.Cut the gap in the center of the diamond shape. Remove a diamond shape from the outer edge.
6. Then fold the longer end of the diamond strip itself a bit. Bend the tip toward the folded hole in the diamond-shaped cookies. Insert the tip into the hole. Then pull all the way through the gap to make a twist.
7. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over the fire. Make sure the oil is not too hot. Fry 3-4 klejner (cruller) for 2-3 minutes until light yellow golden brown on each side. flip them over a couple of times after they float upwards.
8. Once cooked, put kleijner in a paper towel and sprinkle powdered sugar on the klejners. Kleijner is best served while still warm and eaten on the same day.
Danisa, The World-Renowned Danish Butter Cookies
Besides Kleijner, there are also other Danish butter cookies that exist and delicious, Danisa butter cookies are the right choice for you. Danisa is the perfect cookies for you and your family, Danisa can also be the perfect gift for your relatives on Christmas Day. Danisa Butter Cookies is the best cookies brand over the last few decades that has been marketed in several countries, such as America, Russia, Netherlands, Japan, and other countries all over the world.
Danisa is famous for its quality and delicacy as it is made from the finest ingredients and original recipes from Denmark. Danisa has a variety of delicious flavors of Traditional Butter Cookies, Choco Cashew Butter Cookies, Currant Butter Cookies, Choco Filled Butter Cookies and Pineapple Filled Butter Cookies.